The CEA Brace + Bolt program is designed to encourage homeowners to seismically retrofit their house to lessen potential damage caused by an earthquake.
Houses included in the program are those that conform to California Building Code (CBC) Chapter A3, 2010 Edition.
Homeowners participating in the program are advised they will need to obtain a building permit signed by a building official who has inspected and confirmed the retrofit was done in accordance with Chapter A3. Building officials are requested to ensure the permit's Scope of Work denotes the work will be performed "in accordance with Chapter A3 or an approved standard plan set.”
Sources for Prescriptive Plans and Local Plan sets:
- The International Building Code, (CBC) Chapter A3 provides detailed descriptions of the building elements that need to exist and the prescriptive plans on completing a retrofit.
- City of Los Angeles, Prescriptive Standard
- City Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety anchor bolting (pdf)
- Standard Plan A developed by the Association of Bay Area Governments
- Association of Bay Area Governments, Earthquake and Hazards Program