What You Need to Know
Contractors are vital to helping homeowners complete a qualifying retrofit and providing the required documentation in order for them to receive their grant payment. California licensed contractors are encouraged to take the free online FEMA seismic retrofit training to be listed on the Contractor Directory as a Participating Contractor.
Once homeowners are accepted into CEA BB, they will choose a contractor unless they decide to do the work as an owner-builder. If they choose a contractor listed on the Contractor Directory, a homeowner can authorize them to upload the required documents online on their behalf; however, the customer will still need to fill out and upload their W-9 and Payment Authorization forms for themselves.
Ensure your client has a successful retrofit process by familiarizing yourself with the information below.
The Retrofit Work
The retrofit must be done in accordance with CEBC Chapter A3 or a standard plan set (Los Angeles Standard Plan No. 1 or Standard Plan Set A) or an engineered solution;
- House must have a cripple wall 4-feet or less in order for a contractor to use a standard plan set; and,
- Houses with cripple walls taller than 4-feet (but not taller than 7-feet) may qualify but must have an engineered plan by a Design Professional (engineer or architect).
All the work should be done around the perimeter of the foundation. No work is required on the post and piers (see photos of retrofit work).
Retrofit Steps and Required Documentation
The first step is to receive a building permit for the retrofit work.
- The building permit must be received and dated after Homeowner acceptance into CEA BB Program.
- The permit must reference in the scope of work that the work is being done in accordance with “Chapter A3” or an approved Standard Plan Set (i.e. Standard Plan Set A or LA Standard Plan Set #1).
STEPS & TIMELINE FOR PRE-RETROFIT PHASE
First 12 weeks
- Familiarize yourself with retrofit works that qualifies
- Obtain and upload permit information, the building permit must be received and dated after acceptance into CEA BB Program
- Upload 3 photographs of the exterior of the house
- Upload 3 photographs of the crawl space and
cripple wall, if applicable, before the retrofit
- Pre-retrofit required documents must be uploaded to your dashboard within 12 weeks from the day you were accepted into the program.
[IMPORTANT NOTE: Your building permit MUST reference "in accordance with..." an accepted Standard Plan Set (i.e. Standard Plan Set A or LA City Standard Plan Set #1) or "Chapter A3." If your house has cripple walls greater than 4-feet then you will need an engineered solution.]
STEPS & TIMELINE FOR RETROFIT AND POST-RETROFIT PHASE
Retrofit and Post-Retrofit
- After receiving approval from CEA BB, initiate and complete the work. You have nine (9) months from the day you were accepted into the program to complete your retrofit project.
- Collect, submit, and upload the required documentation:
- receipts for building permit fee
- Contractor invoice for the retrofit work must be broken down by types of materials, labor (cost per hour and number of hours worked) and overhead & profit or margin
- 2 photos of code-compliant strapped water heater
- 1 photo of the crawl space access showing scale using ruler, yard stick, etc.
- 3 photos of the crawl space after the retrofit work is completed
- signed building permit after the work is completed
[IMPORTANT NOTE: Your building permit MUST reference "in accordance with..." an accepted Standard Plan Set (i.e. Standard Plan Set A or LA City Standard Plan Set #1).. or "Chapter A3."]
We Are Here to Help